Summer 2012 Picks and Prediction
July 1, 2012
Each season I pick a few titles as being worth keeping an eye on, and predict one title that will rule over all. Unfortunately this season I just don’t see that one show that stands out above the rest, and it isn’t because everything is so utterly amazing that I can’t quite choose. This time I will break from my established convention and discuss three almost Predictions (Picks), and three almost Picks (Encouragement Prize).
For those looking for comprehensive previews, here are some links to good ones:
- Star Crossed Anime Blog – short analyses of each title, running from bad to better in terms of how much potential Psgels sees in them.
- Metanorn – previews of every title with perspectives from multiple members of the team.
- Avvesione’s Anime Blog – another individual perspective.
On to the shows…
These shows all were seriously considered as a possible “Prediction”, but just didn’t make the cut for one reason or another.
Toshokan Sensou: Kakumei no Tsubasa
This is actually a movie following up on an excellent TV series from a few years ago (see my review of the TV series here). I normally exclude movies, so this was disqualified as my Prediction, but it certainly is the thing I am most looking forward to seeing. I am a big fan of the TV series. The premise, for those who don’t know, is librarians fighting to maintain the right to Freedom of Expression. /Trailer/
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
This series is about mankind in decline as a new species, fairies, comes to the fore. That idea is intriguing, but the promo art that I have seen so far just hasn’t caught my imagination. /Trailer/ Airing: July 1
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
One of the main attractions of this show, for me, is that it is very rare to see a show about this period (the Heien Era). As I mentioned while blogging Chihayafuru, we read the Hyakunin Isshu (100 Poems by 100 Poets) during my Japanese Lit class back in college, so I am familiar with the material, and I think this is a fresh idea for an anime. It was an easy Pick, but does it have what it takes to stand above all other anime this season? /Trailer/ Airing: July 2
The following shows were considered for inclusion as Picks, but didn’t quite make it.
- Sword Art Online – I was willing to overlook the obvious similarities to .Hack, but Accel World (written by the same novelist) turned out to be very generic. I’ll still watch this, I’m sure, but it doesn’t look like it will stand out in any way.
- La Storia della Arcana Famiglia – I love Italy; I’ve been there several times. I also think the tarot is a cool thing to use as part of your idea. I have also heard some good things about this material. As a consequence, I will probably check this out without expecting too much from it.
- Hakuouki Reimeiroku – I really did like the first two seasons of this show, but I am unconvinced that a prequel is a good idea. The thing that really interested me in the original was the history of the Shinsengumi, and that story has been told. Now we get side stories. I probably won’t even bother watching this one.